Tutorial

May 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM
Hello,
I was looking for a way to make SharePoint more accessible when I found this website. I'm very impressed by the demo website: http://getsharepointtovalidate.com/

I'm just deployed and installed the feature, but it looks like notting happened. I also activated the 2 features i found in the list, but still nothing.

Could you please make a very short tutorial with the steps i need to follow. I was also wondering of you could supply the masterpage you're using for the demo website.

Thanks in advance,

Leon Kortekaas
Coordinator
May 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM
Hey Lon
Thanks for try my project :)

My projct don't change the 'basic' master page and page layout, so if you just install GSPTV and active the feature not much happens. But try to view the html source code e.g. for at page where your have place a couple of webparts - before and after activing GSPTV features.

As regards the tutoraial (just from the top of my head)

1) Install the wsp
2) Active GSPTV featues
3) Make master page in to valide xhtml
4) Make all page layouts in to valide xhtml

I you need more help, please post again
Sep 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Hi Anders!

I have installed the WSP and activated the features on my site collection. Where do I go from here? Can I use my existing master pages or do i need to rewrite them completely?

How much needs to be done before I can produce the same results as you've got on your demo site, all DIV's and no tables?

Regards,

Andreas

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Yeah, you need to make you html mock-up into valite html. What GSPTV do is to change the build-in/out-of-the-box SharePoint html that you can't change in e.g. master page or page layout, but I don't change any thing in the html mock-up you can make in programs like SharePoint Deisnger.

That answer your question?

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Yes, it sure did! Thanks!

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Davs, Anders!

I'm currently trying to implement GSPTV, and have so far managed to get the webpartzone-adapter to work (it's great!).

I also have a couple of questions you might be able to answer for me:

1. The GSPTV_PageAdapter, while very useful has the effect that if a user is logged on, it puts the "Welcome (user name)" (plus some javascript) outside of the rest of the HTML in the page, all the way above the "<!DOCTYPE" declaration, instead of where the "wssuc:Welcome" usercontrol should be.
This means that the page won't validate, and makes an otherwise great adapter pretty much useless :-(
This is also a problem with similar projects, like HiSoftware's AKS (Accessibility Kit for Sharepont), which uses much the same method as your adapter does (a simple find/replace).
Do you know what causes this issue?

2. In addition to the adapters, GSPTV also bundles with three controls. I especially want to be able to make use of the GSPTV_Navigation Control, but i can't find any documentation on how to implement it.
Do i register the controls TagPrefix in the masterpage like a normal usercontrol? And if so, how do i add it to my masterpage from there?

Best Regards,
Kim

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Hey

1) The problem is MS is using the Page.Response.InnerWriter and when GSPTV create a version of the HtmlWriterStream, for converting in into a StringBuilder to be able do the replace thing I do in the GSPTV_PageAdapter :) The InnerWriter is writin in the top of the html page :S The solution is to mimic the function you need in you owed code or as I dint on http://www.getsharepointtovalidate.com/ just removed the control.

2) The navigation control is just a nomalt ASP.Net server control. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y40dxsky(VS.71).aspx